Chattin' with Joni

August 01, 2007

HOT ROD: Ha-Whiskey!

Hey ya'llz, your boy Chezzie-double here on the serious tip. There is a sequence in Hot Rod where Ardy keeps saying the word 'whiskey' with an 'h' sound in front of it, making it sound more like "ha-whiskey", I'm guessing many if you have seen it in the trailer. Well, apparently there was a similar bit on an episode of Family Guy recently and a certain reviewer from an otherwise lovely website is accusing the dudes of stealing the joke from them. I'm not exactly sure when it became acceptable for movie reviewers to spread hearsay and errant accusations, but that is beside the point. What is important, is that the dudes did NOT steal the bit. And although the reviewer in question does not deserve it, here is the proof: - Hot Rod's final script was written in February of 2006 and shot in July of 2006 and the FG ep in question (Season 5: Ep 8) first aired in December of 2006 (according to wikipedia). - More importantly, I know the joke's origins because it was a bit that Ardy and I used to do whilst roomies in college circa 2000. There is skit-track on the Gangstarr album "Moment of Truth" where DJ Premiere is on the phone being told that Guru just got arrested, and his response is so extreme that it almost sounds like "Ha-What?!" Ardy and I played it repeatedly and began saying all "w" words with the H sounds for months. The rest is history. I'd also like to note that I have met a lot of people since who do that bit also, it's very common in the world of comedy that unrelated people come up with a similar joke. Just as I'm sure the Family Guy's writing staff didn't read the Hot Rod script and steal it from us. So, to everyone unconcerned, my apologies for the boring post, and to that reporter, shut your trap!
*extra note: Talked to Ardy before posting this and he says he used to
do that joke with his sister quoting David Alan Grier in "I'm Gonna Git
You Sucka" when he says, "all my friends were H'white", and that came
out in 1988. PEACE!!!

17 Comments:

Blogger elisabeth said...
That guys a moron.You guys rule!
8/01/2007 4:03 PM  

Blogger WTF said...
David Alan Grier quote was the shit. Used to quote it all the time myself. Click here for a listen
8/01/2007 5:17 PM  

Blogger Kaliyana said...
I can't wait to go see it!!
8/01/2007 9:08 PM  

Blogger abyss_of_fortitude said...
Aw. that really sucks. Why would that guy be so crappy.

Well, I hope it doesn't affect anyone on seeing the film cause that dude said that stuff.



I LOVE YOU GUYS ALWAYS.
;)
-Marissa.
8/01/2007 10:25 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...
hah i saw that family guy ep recently and i thought it was weird, but things like that happen all the time and that reporter should be more focused on all the jokes carlos mencia steals... ZING!
8/01/2007 10:38 PM  

Blogger Cornelius said...
someone post this ish on imdb because the family guy/hot rod controversy is effing irritating.

You want me to do it? I can't...too...busy.
8/01/2007 11:52 PM  

Blogger A girl said...
I posted the link to this on the imbd board. I was just sooo tired of people discussing this! But thanx for clearing it up Chez
8/02/2007 6:28 AM  

Blogger moneybags said...
fresh. good job for proving that guy to be ha-wholly incorrect. what a ha-whiner. he is ha-whack. your searing remarks left him ha-whimpering. ha-who would have thought that guy to be such a ha-whore for telling such a ha-whopper. a bit of a ha-whaler, if you will. ha-whatever, he should go back from ha-whence he came. thank you, chez, for your ha-whimsy. see ya later, i'm gonna go eat some ha-waffles and ghost ride the ha-whip.
8/02/2007 2:06 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...
Just got back from Hot Rod and all bias towards you guys aside, the movie was stellar. People want to compare everything to Napoleon Dynamite but this is far and above any comparison. Great job guys, look forward to another!
8/03/2007 6:09 PM  

Blogger Steele and Claudia Magnet said...
The letters 'W' and 'H' both wanted all the glory so they went to court. It was ruled that 'W' would be written first, but 'H' would be said first.
Yea, that's what my grandma says anyway.
8/08/2007 12:30 AM  

Blogger Phil said...
More importantly, you should sue the dudes for the use of an asian fellow in the movie who looks almost excactly like you!
8/08/2007 3:34 PM  

Blogger Cornelius said...
I think it was John Cho from Harold and Kumar...I could be wrong though.
8/10/2007 12:00 AM  

Blogger dan said...
God I love you guys.
8/10/2007 1:32 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...
i didnt even make the connection... although i had seen the clip. oh well, i think the use in hot rod is way funnier. now that you mention it i can remember in revenge of the nerds, john goodman says to the football team that they "just got your asses hhh-whiped by a bunch of nerds!" and me and my brother quoted that for a while...
seen hot rod twice, it rules
8/16/2007 7:32 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...
how is anything family guy ever done original? that should have been the first clue the dudes didn't steal it.
8/24/2007 2:16 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
8/26/2007 9:31 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...
Watch this old Norm MacDonald interview on Letterman and listen to his pronounciation of "whiskey." It's at 3:27. Gotta love Norm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tudRETrphxk&mode=related&search=
8/26/2007 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home